Woodblock Print Scarves

5.20.2014


I took a furniture class this semester. Along with designing and building a piece of furniture, I had to design a mass-produced object. My professor, Paul Pettigrew, called this the "Five in a Weekend Object," with the idea that five of the same object could be created to sell after a weekend's worth of work. 

As a person who practices hijab, I have a special connection to scarves. I own many prints and colors, but sometimes I wish I could find scarves with specific patterns that I cannot find at H&M, Forever 21, and Target (my favorite stores for purchasing scarves). Way back in high school, I took a printmaking class at Marwen. I had no idea what it was when I signed up for the class, so I just jumped into it and decided to learn something new. I learned how to carve linoleum to create prints on paper. This semester, I started printmaking again. I bought some small pre-made linoleum blocks from the art store, along with carving tools and ink and had some fun with it.

After experimenting on paper, I decided to create woodblock printed scarves. The idea behind these scarves was to use a contemporary technique for a traditional practice. Rather than spending hours carving wood to create a design to print on the scarves, I used a laser cutter. I created an intricate pattern on AutoCAD. Then, I planed the white oak wood that was provided as a part of the class until it was thin enough to fit a laser cutter bed. Then, with the press of a button, I had a delicate lace-like sheet, which I glued onto a heavier, thicker piece of white oak. I then rolled on ink to the block and pressed it to a scarf. The result was beautiful and many people have asked me to create scarves for them Alhamdulilah! I am now working on perfecting some aspects of the printing process before I sell them inshaAllah. I truly enjoyed making these scarves and I look forward to sharing them soon! Here are some images of the process:

Some visuals I presented during my review

Test print with a smaller woodblock
[Left] Laser cutting the pattern [Right] Woodblock and scarf ready for printing
Roller used to put ink on the block
Lace pattern, which was cut on a laser cutter
I had to press the scarf down onto the block for the ink to transfer evenly.
I then pulled the scarf off the block carefully.
The wood allowed a fade-like effect on the scarf since it wasn't completely smooth.
And there it is! Behind me is the final wood block used to create the scarf I wore to my presentation.

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 
CC BY-NC-ND

4 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful! I love it.

    Let me know when they're for sale.

    And if you ever want to carve something else, I may beg for a certain kind of stamp for my ultra-nerdy hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley! I will definitely let you know :)

      Oh yes! I remember you telling me about that fun hobby of yours. Let me know what stamp you want, I can make it for you!

      - Fariha

      Delete
  2. They turned out great! Amazing work as usual!

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by Sweet Lemon Grey Designs